West Dennis Yacht Club
41° 39′ 12” N, 70° 10′ 26” W
ALL CLASSES RUN FROM JUNE 26 TO AUGUST 18, 2023
Sailing School programs are open to members, their children and their grandchildren only.
The WDYC offers a broad range of classes designed for children from age 5 –18. If you have any additional questions regarding which class is right for your child, please contact the WDYC Sailing School by email: WDYCsailing@gmail.com
Download a copy of the Sailing School Packet containing information and registration materials for sailing classes.
WDYC Sailing School Class Options 2023- Morning class times will be posted in early June. Three hour Morning classes will occur between the hours of 8am and 12:30pm.
Sea Squirts Adventure Class: (Mornings T/W/Th) This class offers children ages 5 to 7 a well-rounded on-the-water experience that emphasizes safety, fun and a love of sailing/boating. Sea Squirts maintains a low sailor to instructor ratio which will enhance your child’s learning and development. These young sailors will be introduced to a variety of sailboats, power boats and on-the-water experiences that will provide them with the confidence to advance through the WDYC sailing program in subsequent years.
- Beginner Opti: (Mornings M-F, M/W/F or T/Th) An introductory class that introduces sailors to the fundamentals of sailing. Seamanship, parts of the boat, sailing terminology, safety and comfort on the water are emphasized. Students will be placed in boats with 2-3 students and may have an instructor in the boat with them.
- Intermediate Opti: (Mornings M-F, M/W/F or T/Th) Students continue to learn the basics of sailing and build upon their experiences in Beginner Opti. Students will focus on skippering their own boat, knot tying, rigging, basic rules of way and safety. Students must own their own Opti.
- Advanced Opti Intro to Race/Green Fleet (Mornings M/T/Th/F and afternoon Wednesday Race Series 1-5pm) For students that have taken Intermediate Opti and are competent in skippering their own boat. Students will learn the fundamentals of racing while fine tuning their skippering skills and general sailing I.Q. Students will be prepared for and introduced to racing through the combination of Wednesday Series racing as well as Green Fleet Regattas later in the summer (Green Fleet is for NEW racers. Eligibility is determined by skill level, not age). Students are highly encouraged to register for lessons 5x per week to attain sailing/racing proficiency necessary for advancement. Students must own their own Opti.
- 420 Beginner: (Mornings M-F, M/W/F or T/Th). This class is for students 12+ years old who are new to sailing or those students who have not completed the Opti Intro to Race class due to age and/or size. This class will cover the basics of sailing along with seamanship, skippering, crewing, knot tying, rigging, basic rules of way and safety. Students will use 420s and Sunfish to optimize their boat handling skills.
- 420 Intermediate: (Mornings M-F, M/W/F or T/Th). For students 12+ years old who have completed a season of 420 Beginner, or those students who have graduated from Opti Race, are proficient in skippering and have prior experience in a 420. Sailors will sharpen their skills with advanced drills and enhance their knowledge of right of way rules, spinnaker/trapeze use and navigation.
- Intro to 420 Racing: (Mornings M/T/Th/F, or mornings M/F. Both classes will participate in afternoon Wednesday Race Serices 1:00-5:00pm). This class is for sailors that have successfullly completed the Intermediate 420 class and are new to 420 racing. The class will begin with working on mastering racing techniques and maneuvering around a course. Students are highly encouraged to register for lessons 5x per week to attain sailing/racing proficiency necessary for advancement.
- Race Team 420: (Afternoons 1-4pm- Wednesday Race Serices 1-5pm). This class is offered to the proficient sailor who has completed a minimum of 1 year in Intro to Race 420. Entrance into this level is at the discretion of the Sailing Director/Fleet Captain. Sailors will be paired by Sailing Director/Fleet Captain for classes and regattas/invites. Individual registration with additional fees is required for most regattas and invitationals. Sailors are encouraged to apply for or renew their US Sailing Membership prior to the beginning of the sailing season as most regattas will require membership.
Family Friendly Club Right on the Water
The West Dennis Yacht Club is a family friendly club right on the water with some of the most beautiful sunsets in the area. The sailing club is fantastic and two of our grandchildren have participated.
–Michael Healy Sr.
Outstanding Views, Views, Views!!
ALWAYS a beautiful venue for a wedding or a private function! As a local professional, it’s always a joy to go to a gathering there as it’s always comfortable decor;coastal but not kitchy, polite & welcoming waitstaff, great food and outstanding Views, Views, Views!!!
WDYC is a huge part of our Summer fun!
Great club! We have made many friends here! WDYC is a huge part of our Summer fun!
Perfect Location for our Wedding Reception
West Dennis Yacht Club was the perfect location for our wedding reception! The location is to die for. You cannot go wrong having your wedding/reception here!
PO Box 422
West Dennis, MA 02670
Phone: (508) 398-9757
Fax: (508) 394-2553
259 Loring Avenue
West Dennis, MA 02670